We overview the methods available for adblock revenue recovery and the pros and cons of each.
Category 1: Adblock recovery:
These solutions provide ads to those using adblockers. The similarities end there. Some of these providers deliver a heavy and bloated ‘circumvention’ experience. Playing cat-and-mouse with adblockers, makes it progressively difficult for publishers to stay on top. As you can imagine, publishers are left with an unstable solution and a heavy and slow experience for the end user. Others (like Blockthrough 😉) offer a lightweight ad experience that is un-interruptive.
- Immediate revenue boost
- Most frictionless (doesn’t require the user to change their behavior)
Players: Blockthrough, Instart Logic, Admiral, Uponit, Adrecover
Blockthrough Recommends: Blockthrough due to its lighter experience, highest in industry monetization and stable solution that works in all browsers. Furthermore, we protect publishers by identifying ‘militant’ adblock users and never showing them ads.
Check out our adblock revenue recovery calculator to see how much Blockthrough can earn back for you
Category 2: Access Control:
This solution gates content or articles, then locks down the content to the user until they either whitelist, subscribe, or disable their adblocker.
Advantages: It’s only slightly better than doing nothing
- The act of whitelisting puts a huge onus on users and as a result ~70% of users leave the site
- Terrible user experience
- Requires the user to change their behavior
Blockthrough Recommends: We hear from our publisher friends that Google Funding Choices provides a nice way to get whitelisted by users and performs pretty well.
Category 3: Messaging:
Messaging solutions offer the user a message in front of the desired content to remind them to whitelist. These come in enterprise solutions such as Admiral and wordpress plugins that sniff an adblocker and auto challenge the user.
Advantages: Fairly lightweight implementation
- Effectiveness is questionable: Research says its not always effective to getting whitelisted
- Many pubs allow the user to remain on the content without whitelisting so users are learning to ignore these messages
Players: Admiral, multiple wordpress plugins
Blockthrough Recommends: If you use Wordpress, consider testing these wordpress plugins first to see if this method works for your traffic, then consider if its worth investing in something more robust.
Category 4: Alternate Compensation:
Alternate compensation solutions offer the user the ability to pay to access content with subscriptions, viewing videos, signing up for newsletters, subscribing to newsletters and similar actions.
Advantages: Premium Publishers can see uptake rates on subscriptions and micro-payments
- Uptake rates for most publishers are low — recent research suggests only ~4% of users are willing to pay
- Hard paywalls lead to high bounce rates
- Can often be interruptive to the experience
- Users generally only invest a small amount of money on payments on a monthly basis, so they usually only compensate a handful of publishers whose content they like
Players: Google, Admiral, others
Blockthrough Recommends: Google's Funding Choices
We realize that a publisher’s adblock recovery needs are complex. Blockthrough is here to help. Feel free to reach out to us for advice on how you can optimize your ad revenue.